You can absolutely use Craft Resin in a safe way, when you follow the guidance in this weeks Blog. You don't need to fear using our brands epoxy resin, when the basic safety guidance is followed.
Every resin brand is formulated differently, so if you are using a different brand, then please check out their own guidance on safety. But if you're using Craft Resin and you'd like to learn more about using our brands resin safely, then keep reading...
Our clear epoxy resin passed REACH, with the testing ID CAN20-140587.
Craft Resin's epoxy resin is formulated using the highest quality materials and therefore produces no VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) nor does it give off any harmful fumes.
There are no solvents or non-reactive diluents in the formulations, which means that everything in the formulation reacts together with each other, because of this reaction nothing is loose or free to become airborne and cause health issues.
It is also non-flammable in its liquid form, as long as certain things like alcohol inks aren't added to it. For all these reasons, it is classified as a non-hazardous material and is shippable by air.
Craft Resin is Non-Toxic and safe for home use, this is only valid when used as directed in a well ventilated space, but what does that mean:
Resin that is advertised as non toxic and/or VOC free does not contain any elements that are deemed as toxic as per all the safety guidelines. Craft Resin is rigorously tested by an external company who are impartial. It is the VOC's, or volatile organic compounds that make a resin toxic, and if it doesn't contain any VOCs to begin with, mixing A and B together cannot make it toxic. This also is not affected by heat as it is VOC free, so it doesn’t give off toxic chemicals when cool, warmed up in a warm sink or when a heat gun is used.
The reason we recommend using a mask/respirator is because Craft Resin produces a low odour, it is important to note that what customers are smelling are not fumes. Also it is quite difficult to understand whether ventilation in your workshop is good enough, especially when you’re having to keep temperatures in your workspace. So better stay on the safe side to protect yourself.
VOC's are found in everyday life, they are the elements that make markers smell, or give plastics the "new" smell (and even the scent to the perfume or aftershave we wear). Resin's that contain VOC's are classed as toxic because the heat given off during the curing process lowers the boiling point of the VOC's causing them to give off toxic fumes and vapours. Resins that contain VOC's generally have a strong odour or smell to them.
A resin that's advertised as non toxic, or VOC free, doesn't contain the VOC's, which means the heat made during the curing process has nothing to work on and therefore cannot give off the toxic fumes and vapours as they're not present. Non toxic resins won't have a strong odour or smell because the compound isn't there to make it smell. Craft Resin has a slight smell which is much less than other resins that do contain VOCs.
Toxicity and sensitisation are two completely different things and mean different things, which can be where some confusion lies. Something deemed as toxic will have an immediate effect on the organ when eaten, drunk or breathed in. Levels of toxicity will vary as will the response, but something being toxic is the effect it causes to the localised body part. Sensitisation is a process that involves the immune response and is therefore an allergic reaction. A toxic response is not an allergic reaction.
As with lots of things in life, resin contains natural and man-made elements, which affect us all differently depending on our immune system. For example, some people are allergic to peanuts but that doesn’t mean that peanuts are toxic. It is possible for someone to become sensitive to the resin and develop an allergic response, but that doesn't make it toxic. Sensitisation is your body responding to a stimulus.
Toxic effects and allergic responses are generally different symptoms, but sometimes can present in a similar way - for example an anaphylactic response is similar to a respiratory irritant. Even if you have been working with resin for a long time, your body can suddenly create an allergic response to it, even if it hasn’t before.
If you do have any reactions or abnormal symptoms when using Craft Resin always consult your GP/Doctor also soon as possible.
It could be beneficial, if you are able to, make a list of items you have recently been using that could have caused the reaction. Then you can start to eliminate them by avoiding items on that list for periods of time, gently introducing others back into your workspace to see if any reactions occur. Only do this if your symptoms have been mild.
Also always wear personal protective equipment as a barrier to stop any irritation from happening in the first place.
If you need some more information please do contact us and we will assist you with more safety information or we can provide you with our testing certificates.
What Safety Precautions Should I Take:
If you follow the below guidance you will be able to use Craft Resin with the knowledge that you will be safe:
Wear gloves. Epoxy resin is very sticky substance and can cause skin irritation if it comes into contact with your skin. We do supply a pair of gloves in our kits, however if you are allergic to latex then we would suggest purchasing an alternate set to use. You also might want to look into gloves that are longer, therefore covering more of your arm skin also, this will add even more protection to your hands/arms.
If the epoxy resin does come into contact with your skin, wash it straight away with soap and water.
If you somehow get the product in your eyes, please flush your eyes with water for a few minutes and do not rub. Seek medical attention as soon as possible. To avoid epoxy resin getting into your eyes in the first place, please wear protective glasses or goggles.
Work in a well ventilated area. If you can't work in a well ventilated area due to temperature issues, or you simply can't tell if your work area is well ventilated, please wear a respirator. We cannot tell you which respirator to purchase, however if you take the SDS that we have with you to a respirator supplier they will be able to advise you which one would be best for your needs.
No we don’t mean you can eat epoxy resin! By food safe we mean, that once Craft Resin is cured, and has fully hardened, your resin project can be used safely as a food contact surface. You can place food onto it.
Craft Resin has been tested by a third party for leaching and migration across worldwide standards and passed all testing: When you use Craft Resin as directed, the fully cured resin will not leach any substances into food that comes into contact with it.
You can check out Epoxy Craft Resin's SDS for further details.
Can I Use Craft Resin When Pregnant:
Although Craft Resin is safe for home use and non toxic, no specific testing has been carried out on the effects of using epoxy resin whilst pregnant. We would always recommend that you speak to a medical professional so that they may advise you if this would be safe for yourself and your unborn child.
If your medical professional says that it is safe, and you wish to continue working with epoxy resin whilst pregnant, we would highly recommend reviewing the safety precautions you normally take when using Craft Resin. Ensure that you wear full PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and you work in a well ventilated area, ensuring you use a respirator, and take more breaks away from your crafting area.
If you haven’t started using epoxy resin for crafting yet because you’ve been worried about the health implications, we hope that the above has helped you to understand more about how safe it can be. And has given you peace of mind for the safety precautions you should take when working with crystal clear epoxy resin.
If you’d like to give creating with epoxy resin a try now you know more about how to protect yourself then purchase Craft Resin products today:
Shop your epoxy resin starter kit
Topic Of The Week Giveaway:
We have attached a giveaway to these Topic Of The Week announcements on our Instagram platform, this is helping us to spread the knowledge of how to use epoxy resin further, but also enabling anyone who helps us share this information to win free resin and mica powders.
To enter the weekly giveaway please see the latest post pinned to the top of our Instagram feed and follow the instructions to enter:
Team Craft Resin