Every resin brand is formulated differently, as such the information in the blog below is only for Craft Resin’s epoxy resin. If you are using a different brand, please check their safety guidance before using.
When using any crafting medium it’s always a good idea to check over the health and safety guidance and protect yourself accordingly. Our epoxy resin is one of the safest resin’s on the market, however there are still some precautions you need to take when using it to protect yourself and your family from any reactions or irritations.
To find our the specific safety aspects for the Resin and Hardener separately please check out our Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
Our clear epoxy resin passed REACH, with the testing ID CAN20-140587.
Craft Resin's epoxy resin is formulated using the highest quality materials and therefore produces no VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) nor does it give off any harmful fumes.
There are no solvents or non-reactive diluents in the formulations, which means that everything in the formulation reacts together with each other, because of this reaction nothing is loose or free to become airborne and cause health issues.
It is also non-flammable in its liquid form, as long as certain things like alcohol inks aren't added to it. For all these reasons, it is classified as a non-hazardous material and is shippable by air.
Craft Resin is Non-Toxic and safe for home use, this is only valid when used as directed in a well ventilated space, but what does that mean:
Resin that is advertised as non toxic and/or VOC free does not contain any elements that are deemed as toxic as per all the safety guidelines. Craft Resin is rigorously tested by an external company who are impartial. It is the VOC's, or volatile organic compounds that make a resin toxic, and if it doesn't contain any VOCs to begin with, mixing A and B together cannot make it toxic. This also is not affected by heat as it is VOC free, so it doesn’t give off toxic chemicals when cool, warmed up in a warm sink or when a heat gun is used.
The reason we recommend using a mask/respirator is because Craft Resin produces a low odor, it is important to note that what customers are smelling are not fumes. Also it is quite difficult to understand whether ventilation in your workshop is good enough. So better stay on the safe side to protect yourself.
VOC's are found in everyday life, it is the elements that make markers smell, or give plastics the "new" smell (and even the scent to the perfume or aftershave we wear). Resin's that contain VOC's are classed as toxic because the heat given off during the curing process lowers the boiling point of the VOC's causing them to give off toxic fumes and vapours. Resins that contain VOC's generally have a strong odour or smell to them.
A resin that's advertised as non toxic, or VOC free, doesn't contain the VOC's, which means the heat made during the curing process has nothing to work on and therefore cannot give off the toxic fumes and vapours as they're not present. Non toxic resins won't have a strong odour or smell because the compound isn't there to make it smell. Craft Resin has a slight smell which is much less than other resins that do contain VOCs.
Toxicity and sensitisation are two completely different things and mean different things, which can be where some confusion lies. Something deemed as toxic will have an immediate effect on the organ when eaten, drunk or breathed in. Levels of toxicity will vary as will the response, but something being toxic is the effect it causes to the localised body part. Sensitisation is a process that involves the immune response and is therefore an allergic reaction. A toxic response is not an allergic reaction.
As with lots of things in life, resin contains natural and man-made elements, which affect us all differently depending on our immune system. For example, some people are allergic to peanuts but that doesn’t mean that peanuts are toxic. It is possible for someone to become sensitive to the resin and develop an allergic response, but that doesn't make it toxic. Sensitisation is your body responding to a stimulus.
Toxic effects and allergic responses are generally different symptoms, but sometimes can present in a similar way - for example an anaphylactic response is similar to a respiratory irritant.
If you do have any reactions or abnormal symptoms when using Craft Resin always consult your GP/Doctor also soon as possible.
Also always wear personal protective equipment as a barrier to stop any irritation from happening in the first place.
What Safety Precautions Should I Take:
If you follow the below guidance you will be able to use Craft Resin with the knowledge that you will be safe:
Wear gloves. Epoxy resin is very sticky substance and can cause skin irritation if it comes into contact with your skin. We do supply a pair of gloves in our kits, however you may need more pairs in case of breakages, if you are allergic to latex then we would suggest purchasing an alternate set to use.
If the epoxy resin does come into contact with your skin, wash it straight away with soap and water.
If you somehow get the product in your eyes, please flush your eyes with water for a few minutes and do not rub. Seek medical attention as soon as possible. To avoid epoxy resin getting into your eyes in the first place, please wear protective glasses or goggles.
Work in a well ventilated area. If you can't work in a well ventilated area due to temperature issues, or you simply can't tell if your work area is well ventilated, please wear a respirator.
If you’d like to read more about why you should consider wearing a respirator click here.
Once Craft Resin is cured, and has fully hardened, your resin project can be used safely as a food contact surface.
Craft Resin has been tested by a third party for leaching and migration across worldwide standards and passed all testing: When you use Craft Resin as directed, the fully cured resin will not leach any substances into food that comes into contact with it.
Can I Use Craft Resin When Pregnant:
Although Craft Resin is safe for home use and non toxic, no specific testing has been carried out on the effects of using epoxy resin whilst pregnant. We would always recommend that you speak to a medical professional so that they may advise you if this would be safe for yourself and your baby.
If your medical professional says that it is safe, and you wish to continue working with epoxy resin whilst pregnant, we would highly recommend reviewing the safety precautions you normally take when using Craft Resin. Ensure that you wear full PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and you work in a well ventilated area, possibly taking more breaks away from your crafting area.
If you are unsure at all then we would suggest taking a break from resin during your pregnancy, the health of your baby is much more important than your resin creations.
Topic Of The Week Giveaway:
We have attached a giveaway to these Topic Of The Week announcements on our Instagram platform, this is helping us to spread the knowledge of how to use epoxy resin further, but also enabling anyone who helps us share this information to win free resin and mica powders.
To enter the weekly giveaway please see the latest post #CRWEEK37 on our Instagram feed/highlights and follow the instructions to enter:
We hope you have a great time working with our epoxy resin, your health is the most important thing, so follow the guidance above and you'll be safe when working with our brand.
Team Craft Resin
Team Craft Resin